MEMORANDUM CIRCULAR NO. 2020-29
Series of 2020.
SUBJECT : REVERSION OF THE REGISTRATION AND REGULATION OF ALL COOPERATIVES EXCEPT COOPERATIVE BANKS, INSURANCE COOPERATIVES AND CREDIT SURETY FUND COOPERATIVES TO THE REGIONAL OFFICES WHERE THE PRINCIPAL OFFICE IS LOCATED
Pursuant to the powers vested in the Authority by Republic Act No. 11364, also known as “An Act Reorganizing and Strengthening the Cooperative Development Authority, Repealing for the Purpose Republic Act No. 6939, Creating the Cooperative Development Authority”, this Circular is hereby issued.
- BACKGROUND. In 2012, the Cooperative Development Authority (CDA) issued Memorandum Circular No. 2012-08, Series of 2012, recalling temporarily the delegated function of CDA Regional Offices to register selected types of primary cooperatives whose applications for registration were required to be filed with the CDA Central Office (now, CDA Head Office) for their orderly registration and to ensure that they are not used as tax shields of some misguided groups.
- POLICY. By virtue of CDA Board Resolution No. 332, Series of 2020 dated November 5, 2020, the Board of Directors (BOD), approved the reversion of the registration and regulation of all types of cooperatives to the Regional Offices where the principal office is located except cooperative banks, insurance cooperatives and Credit Surety Fund (CSF) cooperatives which shall remain to be registered with the CDA Head Office. The existing guidelines and/or requirements in the registration of cooperatives issued by the Authority shall be followed.
- Considering the reversion of the registration of abovementioned cooperatives with the CDA Regional Offices, the latter shall exercise primary jurisdiction over the same.
- REPEAL. All previous circulars and/or guidelines issued by the Authority which are inconsistent with the provisions of this Circular are hereby repealed or modified accordingly.
- EFFECTIVITY. This Circular shall take effect fifteen (15) days after its publication in the Office of the National Administrative Register (ONAR).
Approved by the Board of Directors pursuant to BOD Resolution No. 332, Series of 2020, dated November 5, 2020.
For the CDA Board of Directors:
(SGD)USEC. ORLANDO R. RAVANERA